London. Printed for J. Almon, 1780. 4to., 27cm, The First Edition, viii,140,lxii (Appendix), f ("Advertisement"), with 6 folding maps and plans, in contemporary half calf, gilt ruled and decorated panel borders and gilt titles on the spine, marbled, boards, from Newby Hall library, with the Grantham armorial bookplate and Newby Hall gilt stamped along spine panel on the upper board, some slight foxing on the maps all with good wide margins and are complete with call for onlays on two of them, and with routes and encampments shown in colour, a fine antique large copy. (cgc). Item #40513
Howes B968- (calling for only five maps). J.C.B. 2620. Sabin 9255. Streeter II-794. Lande 69. Vlach 125. Gephart 6179. cf. T.P.L. 503 (2nd ed). Melzack 0465 and Gagnon 1:61 (2nd ed.). Following the disastrous northern campaign of 1777, which led to Burgoyne's capitulation at Saratoga, the author was forced to defend his actions against severe and mounting criticism. He claims, in this work, that his army was too small and that it was poorly provided for. "The work is one of the best sources on the campaign." - (Streeter). The maps, which give exact and detailed information about the campaign, are by William Faden. Newby Hall, in Ripon, Yorkshire, was built by Sir Edward Blackett in the late seventeenth century. Styled after Sir Christopher Wren, it remained the core of the building as it evolved over the next two hundred and fifty years, when it was sold to William Weddell who added large wings to it. When Lord Grantham inherited the building in 1792, he converted the dining room into a magnificent library to house his large collection of books.